Blog 2: Google Camera Translate...Say What???

This week I found another alert article on the tech tool Google Translate. This tool that I thought was already pretty awesome just got even more awesome! The article is about how Google Translate has added 13 more languages to join the 26 that they already had. Before finding this article I didn't even know that Google Translate had this feature. I had read before that the new Google Glasses would be able to automatically translate street signs, menus etc. but I didn't know that we could already do this with our App on our phones.

I only got half way through reading the article when I had to give it a try for myself. It is surprisingly extremely easy to use. You simply choose the camera option, point the camera to words that you want to be translated and like magic it translates them automatically on your phone screen! My husband and I had a great time holding up our even snack's nutrition label to pointing to my computer screen. This is really an amazing tool that I wish I had known about before, but am so happy to discover it. I am going to immediately begin using this with my ESL students. I can see that they can now navigate Google Classroom or really any item on our Chromebooks that we are looking at. Students can also point their cameras at a worksheet for it to be instantly translated! What is even cooler is that students could write in their native language and I can use my Camera Translator to see their answers.

Check out the article to see a video of how it works but I also greatly urge you to give the Camera in the Google Translate App a try.

Comments

  1. Hi Amber, I've tried that trick with Google translate and loved it! It would really come in handy when traveling. I also just read about the new Pixel earbuds from Google. https://store.google.com/sg/product/google_pixel_buds They will actually translate live speech, can you imagine! That is just crazy. For $159 you can have your own personal translator that will help you understand anyone you talk to, the future is now, unbelievable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read about this recently as well. This would be a great tool to use in the classroom with our ESL students. It is quick and easy, and it can also be very beneficial for us as well. I often get emails or notes in Spanish that I cannot translate so this would be helpful for me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 5: English=Science

Blog 3: MemoQ and Augmented Translation